Sunday, September 11, 2011

Online Social Networking Causes Depression

I am going to keep this one short as I have lots to do being in sick bed yesterday.

I have stumbled upon an article that says depression is manageable if people just stay socially connected to one another. And, by saying "socially connected", you should be around other people, mingling and interacting. However, technology today has provided us with 101 ways to interact with other people without really getting together. Skype allows you to chat with your friends and family without every leaving your home. Skype mobile app can connect you with your loved-ones even if you are on the go. Social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter help you keep up with your social circles' endeavors without too much engagement since you can opt to reply back, comment, "like", just browse or ignore them altogether. Apparently, online social networking is more or less, "fake connection", allowing you to feel connected while essentially you are by yourself which, in a way, promotes or triggers depression without us knowing it.

I must admit, I have had few status updates from my newsfeed which managed to upset  me but I didn't consider them depressing at that time. But come to think of it, it may have depressed me in some way, I just didn't acknowledge it then. How about you? What do you think?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...