Friday, February 24, 2012

No Fluoride Toothpaste For Your Little Ones!

I don't know if I was the only one who didn't know that you are not supposed to give babies/toddlers a non-fluoride toothpaste! I just learned about it the other day while interacting with other moms on MomCenter Philippines.

Just FYI,  when my daughter was a tod, I failed to monitor her teeth cleaning activities as she grew up with a yaya. I was still working outside of home at that time, I was confident that her yaya was strict in implementing my teeth cleaning instructions, only to find out (too late) that there were days when the little girl refused to brush her teeth and the yaya didn't really push hard enough. So, this time around, with my son, I personally attend to his teeth cleaning ritual and got really frustrated when I saw some stains on his teeth. His dad even accused me of not cleaning it right. I was really devastated.

On top of regular brushing, I wipe his teeth (and all around inside his mouth) with a clean cloth. I do this every single day,without fail. SO just imagine my surprise when I saw a dentist commented on a thread saying that the culprit was the FLUORIDE TOOTHPASTE I was giving my son! We were using Hapee with Elmo on it, the strawberry one, and it seems this toothpaste is not really fit for toddlers since most of them don't know how to spit the toothpaste/foam out and tend to just swallow. Now the ingested fluoride causes the mottling, or stains, on developing teeth. *wow, henyo moment*

What's maddening though is that these kiddie toothpaste companies didn't even bother to put that warning on their labels (if there were warnings, I definitely didn't see/notice them!) Don't get me wrong, you can still give a child a fluoride toothpaste IF he or she knows how to spit out, if not, you ABSOLUTELY don't wanna give them a fluoride toothpaste or else your bebe's teeth will still rot - brushie or no brushie. I'm playing it safe from now on, since there are two BUTS on this fluoride toothpaste thingy 1) spitting baby, not swallowing and 2) developing teeth. I'm going to keep Mr. C on non-fluoride toothpaste until his PERMANENT TEETH come out, spitting or no spitting. lol. :D

Your best bet in finding a non-fluoride toothpaste is in drugstores. If not, try baby section of your favorite department stores. We're trying SansFluo from SM, as this seems to be a cult favorite. I was looking for gum wipes but they were OOS so I'll try again next time.

SansFluo toothgel Strawberry


87Php for 50ml
A little expensive than Hapee Kiddie toothpaste but a little goes a long way AND hey, it's going to save my kid's teeth from rotting so I'm not one to complain about the price!

#booforfalseadvertising!kisses!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...